SALVAIDE Launches $100,000 Campaign For Flood Victims in El Salvador
- 150,000 people affected
- 85% of coast flooded
- Nearly one billion dollars in damage
- Thousands of homes destroyed
- Thousands of crops ruined
(For a campaign update and media release, click here)
SalvAide and its Salvadoran Partners Respond:
Torrential rains in October 2011 devastated coastal areas with heavy flooding and mudslides. Poor hydroelectric dam management has only exacerbated the crisis. Salvadorans had not seen such devastation since Hurricane Mitch in the late 1990s.
SalvAide's Salvadoran sister organizations, CRIPDES and CORDES, were on the ground from the beginning of the flooding and mobilized relief efforts in two of the most affected flood zones - El Salvador's Lower Lempa River region (Bajo Lempa) and the coastal area of La Libertad.
With more than two decades of experience in grassroots community organizing and development in El Salvador, SalvAide's sister organizations were quick to respond with:
- evacuation and emergency shelter
- food and basic health needs
- rescue and further disaster mitigation
- plans for reconstruction, including reactivating a devastated agricultural sector
We Need your Support!
The need remains great. The Government of El Salvador has estimated nearly a billion dollars in damage to the country, with much of that coming from lost agricultural production – this in a country already facing serious food security challenges. Although state and social movement organizations have worked tirelessly to address the immediate emergency and to plan for reconstruction, both the government and the social movement have appealed for international solidarity.
SalvAide has responded to the urgency. Our goal is to raise $100,000 for ongoing relief and reconstruction efforts. The best way to help is with a tax-deductible donation that SalvAide (charitable status registration # 11913 3627 RR0001) can channel to our partners on the ground as soon as possible to purchase supplies, fund relief efforts, and rebuild for the future.
Ways to Contribute:
Please help us reach our goal!
- Call 613-233-6215 to donate with Visa or MasterCard.
- Donate online through CanadaHelps by clicking here.
- Send a cheque or money order to: SalvAide, 219 Argyle Ave, Suite 411, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2P 2H4
- Attend the SalvAide sponsored Salvadoran-Canadian Association (ASALCA) Diaspora Dinner in Toronto on 17 December - call 416-577-6426 for more information.
Donations from Canadian residents over $20 will receive a charitable donation tax receipt for income tax return purposes.
Thank very much in advance for your generous support and solidarity!